Old 2011-05-23, 04:31 AM   #31
Eurochic

Eurochic Ordinary Player -- showing a lot of promise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Matt~ View Post
See, no where in the UK currently has fibre optics going to the house.

If you would like to read more, you can do so here.
Don't believe all you read. I have Fibre Optics all the way up to my front door.
Eurochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 04:43 AM   #32
~Matt~
Veteran Member

~Matt~ Ordinary Player -- showing a lot of promise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurochic View Post
Don't believe all you read. I have Fibre Optics all the way up to my front door.
Unless you have paid for that yourself, i highly doubt you have it to your front door. Its also in the small print from when they say "fibre optic broadband"
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

How to change your nickname

My Suggestions:
Conquer 3.0
No switching teams in Team PK
Guild Honorary Positions Tweak
~Matt~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 05:18 AM   #33
Mephisto
All Hell!

Mephisto King/Queen -- damn goodMephisto King/Queen -- damn goodMephisto King/Queen -- damn goodMephisto King/Queen -- damn goodMephisto King/Queen -- damn goodMephisto King/Queen -- damn goodMephisto King/Queen -- damn goodMephisto King/Queen -- damn good

Ehh.. I thought Fiber Optics were available all over the developed countries?

My network is nowhere near decent compared to the LAN or Fibre Optics you guys are using, download/upload 10Mbps/10Mbps, LAN network, maximum download speed can only reach 1.2MB/s, most of time when I use utorrent to download NBA games.

@~Matt~

I think O2 offers LAN network to the individuals cause a friend of mine has O2 network at her apartment in Cleveland, UK, and she can download files at 3MB/s or faster speed, I don't know, but her upload speed has been limited to that for ADSL network. Sometimes, nothing is what it seems, and seeing is NOT always believing. =p.
Old 2011-05-23, 05:41 AM   #34
~Matt~
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
Ehh.. I thought Fiber Optics were available all over the developed countries?

My network is nowhere near decent compared to the LAN or Fibre Optics you guys are using, download/upload 10Mbps/10Mbps, LAN network, maximum download speed can only reach 1.2MB/s, most of time when I use utorrent to download NBA games.

@~Matt~

I think O2 offers LAN network to the individuals cause a friend of mine has O2 network at her apartment in Cleveland, UK, and she can download files at 3MB/s or faster speed, I don't know, but her upload speed has been limited to that for ADSL network. Sometimes, nothing is what it seems, and seeing is NOT always believing. =p.
The UK is far behind most other developed countries. Put it this way, we won't be getting 4g mobile until 2014.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

My Suggestions:
Conquer 3.0
Old 2011-05-23, 05:42 AM   #35
Eurochic

Quote:
Unless you have paid for that yourself, i highly doubt you have it to your front door. Its also in the small print from when they say "fibre optic broadband"
Why do some people disbelieve what I say.

I have seen them laying the cables outside my front gate and down the street when NTL (now Virgin) came to our area. I have also had it confirmed this morning by Virgin Media that the fibre optic cable is outside my house and goes under my garden to my house.
Old 2011-05-23, 05:47 AM   #36
~Matt~
Veteran Member

Quote:
Why do some people disbelieve what I say.

I have seen them laying the cables outside my front gate and down the street when NTL (now Virgin) came to our area. I have also had it confirmed this morning by Virgin Media that the fibre optic cable is outside my house and goes under my garden to my house.
I disbelieve because it is stated many times by virgin media and by other sources that fibre optics do not go directly to the house.

My Suggestions:
Conquer 3.0
Old 2011-05-23, 05:54 AM   #37
Eurochic

Quote:
I disbelieve because it is stated many times by virgin media and by other sources that fibre optics do not go directly to the house.
Look, let me make this very clear to you, when I say something it is correct.
Old 2011-05-23, 06:14 AM   #38
~Matt~
Veteran Member

Quote:
Look, let me make this very clear to you, when I say something it is correct.
For a start, it wasnt NTL that started the fibre optic "revolution" it was only after it became Virgin it started.
And this couldnt be clearer.
The document from the advertising standards Authority
http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adj...ADJ_43928.aspx

My Suggestions:
Conquer 3.0
Old 2011-05-23, 07:00 AM   #39
Eurochic

Quote:
For a start, it wasnt NTL that started the fibre optic "revolution" it was only after it became Virgin it started.
And this couldnt be clearer.
The document from the advertising standards Authority
http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adj...ADJ_43928.aspx
This is getting very tedious. Stop questioning my comments.

I have lived in the same house since 1977. In the early 90s NTL installed a network of Fibre Optics in the Watford area. I have had TV and telephone installed in the 90s and then Broadband.

When I first had broadband is was 512k (the max available at that time was 1 meg) This eventually went up to 2 meg through my Pace TV box. Then I upgraded to 4 meg which involved a Samsung box as this could achieve these speeds.

Eventually to achieve higher speeds a modem was installed and this allows me to receive my current 20 meg.

I will say this until I am blue in the face, I have seen the engineers lay the cables outside my house in the 90s I know its fibre optics. Quoting from articles is pointless, I have seen the cables with my own eyes. Also my provider has confirmed that the optics go right up to my house.

Old 2011-05-23, 07:17 AM   #40
~Matt~
Veteran Member

Quote:
This is getting very tedious. Stop questioning my comments.

I have lived in the same house since 1977. In the early 90s NTL installed a network of Fibre Optics in the Watford area. I have had TV and telephone installed in the 90s and then Broadband.

When I first had broadband is was 512k (the max available at that time was 1 meg) This eventually went up to 2 meg through my Pace TV box. Then I upgraded to 4 meg which involved a Samsung box as this could achieve these speeds.

Eventually to achieve higher speeds a modem was installed and this allows me to receive my current 20 meg.

I will say this until I am blue in the face, I have seen the engineers lay the cables outside my house in the 90s I know its fibre optics. Quoting from articles is pointless, I have seen the cables with my own eyes. Also my provider has confirmed that the optics go right up to my house.

Looking back at NTL history, i was wrong that they didnt use fibre optics, but again, it doesnt state anywhere this is direct to the house, but they confirm that they did this in Norway and Sweden!

Quote:
ntl continued to expand into Europe with the acquisition of the assets of Switzerland's largest cable company, Cablecom, and a 34% interest in Svenska Bredbandsbolaget AB (or B2), a Scandinavian company deploying fibre directly to the home throughout Sweden and Norway.
http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk...c_history.aspx

Please, prove me wrong, but as far as I am aware (and the internet tends to agree with me here), there is no where in the UK that has had fibre optics direct to the house, without paying for it to be done.

There are a few areas that will be starting trials in the near future.

I'm not trying to start shit with you Euro, I'm just going by facts the ASA and now virgin media have presented me with (and a whole load of other websites that i didn't link you too)

My Suggestions:
Conquer 3.0